Historical Buildings - Lighthouse
Click on covers above to enlarge.
The Malay Federation was known among the traders, and
they called it the state at the end of the land. Its strategic
location in the Asian Continent was well exemplified by the trading
activities carried out. The Straits of Malacca also contributed to the
importance of the Malay Federation as a trading and maritime centre.
When the Portuguese conquered Malacca in 1511, the
Straits of Malacca, for the first time, fell under an European power.
The Portuguese later charged ships which ply the straits for payment.
The arrival of the Portuguese was an important watershed in the
history of this region.
The lighthouses in Malaysia have its origin during the
British rule since 1826. There were 15 lighthouses that were
collectively known as the Straits Settlement Lighthouses. Among the
lighthouses that are still operational are the Tanjung Tuan (Cape
Rachado), Muka Head, Pulau Undan, Fort Cornwallis (formally known as
Fort Point) and Pulau Rimau.
Tanjung Tuan Lighthouse
The Tanjung Tuan Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse
still in operation in Malaysia. The white, cylinder-shaped tower
started operating in 1863. With a height of 24 meters, its pilot light
can be seen from a distance of 23 nautical miles. The Tanjung Tuan
lighthouse is located at 02o24'N and 101o51'E.
Pulau Undan Lighthouse
The Pulau Undan lighthouse was built in 1880 at Pulau
Undan, Melaka. It is the second lighthouse built in this country. The
lighthouse has an octagonal shaped tower, built on top of a building.
With a total height of 15 meters, the bright red tower can be seen
from as far as 18 nautical miles away in good weather. The Pulau Undan
Lighthouse is located at 02o03'N and 102o20'E.
Muka Head Lighthouse
The Muka Head Lighthouse is the second lighthouse to
be built in Penang's waters. The construction of this gray granite
tower was completed in 1883, with a height of 14 meters. It was built
to the northwest of Penang Island. The lighthouse is located at 05o28'N
Permatang Sepeda Lighthouse
In 1874, Screw Pile lighthouse was launched. The name
Screw Pile was given to the design of the lighthouse being built on
top of metal piles buried as deep as 11 feet 6 inches. In 1907 it was
replaced with a new structure called the One Fathom Bank Lighthouse.
This particular lighthouse has its origin in a report by hydrography
survey, General Thomson, who reported the existence of a sand bank at
the coordinates of 03o10'U and 101o00'T, between
North Sands and South Sands, in the Straits of Malacca. The sandbank
emerges during low tide, with water depth of not more than two and a
half fathoms and is now being preserved as a memorial.
The new One Fathom Bank Lighthouse was completed in
1999. It has a 43 meter tower, and is equipped with the latest
lighting system. Its pilot light can be seen from as far as 23
nautical miles. The jetty and building structures are made from
concrete, while the tower is fabricated from metal. The roof is made
from polycarbonate and polished metal. This new lighthouse is located
parallel to the old one, at 02o53.3'N and 100o59.8'E.
Kuala Selangor Lighthouse
The Kuala Selangor Lighthouse was built in 1907. The
27 meter tower was built on top of Bukit Melawati, giving it a
commanding view of the surrounding area. The pilot light can be seen
from 18 nautical miles away. The construction of the lighthouse was
believed to have been undertaken by the Federation of Malay States.
The lighthouse is also known as the Altingsburg Lighthouse, in lieu of
the Dutch Governor who overran the fort in 1784.
Basides the lighthouse, Bukit Melawati also has within
its area various historical remains that serve as a reminder of the
|Date of Issue
||31 January 2004
||30 sen (4 designs)
||30mm X 40mm
||70mm X 100mm
|Stamp Size in
||30mm X 40mm