College Kuala Kangsar
Click on covers above to enlarge.
The Malay College Kuala Kangsar (MCKK) is the premier
and first fully-residential school in Malaysia. Established on 2nd
January 1905, it was originally known as the Malay Residential
School of Kuala Kangsar. It was an all Malay boys' school located in
the Royal Town of Kuala Kangsar, Perak.
The school was the brainchild of Mr. R J Wilkinson,
then Inspector of Schools for the Federated Malay States. In a
letter to the Resident-General dated 24th February 1904, he wrote
about "establishing at a suitable locality in the F.M.S., a special
residential school for the education of Malays of good family and
for the training of Malay boys for admission to certain branches of
Its formation was enthusiastically supported by the
then Rulers of the Federated Malay States namely Sultan Idris
Murshidul 'Adzam Shah of Perak, Sultan Alaiddin Sulaiman Shah of
Selangor, Yam Tuan Tuanku Muhamad Shah of Negeri Sembilan and Sultan
Ahmad Al-Mu'adzam Shah of Pahang.
Since its inception, more than 5,000 boys (and 2
girls) have had the privilege to enter the gates of The MCKK. Though
it was initially founded to educate the Malay elites, it changed
dramatically as a result of rising Malay nationalism since 1947.
Today, selected Malay boys from all walks of life and aged from 12
to 17 from all over Malaysia are educated in The MCKK.
The MCKK has been the school for many prominent
Malaysian such as Kings, Sultans, Prime Ministers, Ministers as well
as senior officials in the Government and leading figures in the
private sector. The MCKK boys would undoubtedly fill many of the
pages of Who Is Who in Malaysia.
MCKK celebrated its Centennial Anniversary on 26th
March 2005. Attended by royalties, dignitaries, Old Boys and
townspeople, The Malay College Kuala Kangsar or fondly referred to
as the Eton of the East was also declared a National Heritage by His
Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong. His Majesty re-affirmed that the
Malay Rulers "...shall remain as Royal Patrons of The Malay College
Kuala Kangsar for as long as the sun, the moon and the stars move
across the Heavens."
The most recognizable, oldest and famous landmark of
MCKK is none other than the imposing 2 storey building with pseudo
Greco-Roman architecture fronted by a vast playing field. It is
known as the Big School. The official opening of the building took
place on Saturday 11th December 1909 and officiated by Sultan Idris
Murshidul 'Adzam Shah, the Sultan of Perak. In 1955, the West and
East Wings were added and together they make up what is now called
the Big School. The Big School is currently the main hostel for the
seniors. The Big School remains as a majestic edifice of The Malay
The Prep School (Preparatory School), built in 1912,
is smaller but with equally prominent features. Built in pseudo
Greco-Roman architecture too, this 2 storey "L" shaped building
houses the first year students. Here, students are taught and
prepared for their future life in MCKK. The Prep School is the only
hostel located within the present Administrative Block. The hostel
has its own dining hall, common room and playing fields.
A prominent feature of the Big School is the Big
Tree. Located in front of the East Wing, it was said to be as old as
the school itself. It is of the Samanea saman species, and commonly
known as the rain tree, coco tamarind, acacia preta, French
tamarind, saman, monkey pod or 'pokok pukul lima". It came from
tropical America, and has a large dome-shaped canopy. It can grow up
to 180 feet tall with a crown up to 240 feet across. As the leaves
age, the color changes from pale green to bright yellow and then to
a golden color before shedding. The flowers are small pinkish green.
To the boys of MCKK, Big Tree is more than just a
tree. It is a monument that every living Old Boy can easily relate
to. Throughout its existence, it has been a landmark for many a
congregation, and serves as both a meeting and parting point.
Stories pertaining to Big Tree, true or mythical, are plentiful.
|Date of Issue
||30 Aug 2005
||30 sen, 50 sen
||40mm X 30mm
||100mm X 70mm
|Stamp Size in
||22mm X 51mm